Re: git patch

From: Johannes Schindelin
Subject: Re: git patch
Date: Wed, 6 Dec 2006 10:37:01 +0100 (CET)

Hi,

On Wed, 6 Dec 2006, Mats Bengtsson wrote:

> Johannes Schindelin wrote:
> >
> > > It would be nice to have an accompanying "tutorial introduction to
> > > contributing with git" that just goes over the following steps (in their
> > > git equivalent):
> > >

> > > cvs co blah blah  (which I simply copy and paste from savannah anyway)
> > > while (true) {
> > >   cvs update          // get changes that happened overnight
> > >   vi foo/bar/baz.txt  // or whatever editing commands you do
> > >   make; make web      // or whatever testing commands you do
> > >   cvs update          // get latest changes to prepare for
> > >                       // uploading changes.  This step may or
> > >                       // may not be required in git.
> > >   cvs ci foo/bar/baz.txt  // upload changes
> > > }
> > >

> > I try to translate:
> >
> > $ git clone blah blah
> > $ while (true) {
> > $    git pull          # get latest changes; you must have a clean working
> > dir
> > $    vi foo/bar/baz.txt
> > $    make; make web
> > $    git commit -a # you will be prompted for a meaningful message
> > $ # alternatively: git commit foo/bar/baz.txt
> > $ }
> >
> I'm just as much a newbie as Graham and several others on this list, but
> didn't you
> miss one important step, namely "git push" (somewhat corresponding to
> "cvs ci", i.e. "cvs commit")?

But of course! You can wait with publishing if you want, though. In that
sense, "cvs commit" is now split into two different operations. But you
are correct: every now and then, you should do

$ git push address@hidden:path/to/lilypond.git

I assume here that you are working on the master branch (as recommended,
and which is the default), and want to push onto the branch "master" in
the remote repository.

Also note that you cannot push over the "git://" protocol; it is only for
fetching. Instead, this is over SSH and uses the same syntax as scp.

Ciao,
Dscho