Re: another skyline problem

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: another skyline problem
Date: Thu, 7 Dec 2006 18:32:19 +0200

On 12/7/06, Werner LEMBERG <address@hidden> wrote:

> That's right -- you need to override DynamicLineSpanner instead of
> DynamicText (see the following example).

Well, it still doesn't work: I want to change Y-offset!

  {
    \override DynamicText #'Y-offset = #5.0
    \once \override DynamicLineSpanner #'outside-staff-priority = ##f
    c2\ff
  }

Change #'Y-offset on the DynamicLineSpanner too. I'm not 100% sure why yours doesn't work but I think it's something on the lines of:

changing Y-offset of DynamicText changes the Y-extent of DynamicLineSpanner
(it used to be centred around 0, now it is centred around 5)

changing Y-extent of DynamicLineSpanner changes its Y-offset because it is attached to something (the NoteHead?) according to side-position-interface

the combined changes to the Y-offsets cause DynamicText to be placed in exactly the same position as before! If you could see the position of a DynamicLineSpanner, I think you would see that your overrides caused its Y-offset to be -5 from what it would have been originally.

By this hypothesis, at least, this behaviour is completely unrelated to skyline spacing. Did overriding DynamicText #'Y-offset work on earlier versions?