Re: ties, chords, and multiple voices

From: Erik Sandberg
Subject: Re: ties, chords, and multiple voices
Date: Tue, 2 Jan 2007 16:20:27 +0100

On Tuesday 02 January 2007 13:39, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> > This is more or less the same feature request as
> > http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2006-12/msg00841.html
> > and
> > http://lists.gnu.org/archive/html/lilypond-user/2006-12/msg00842.html
>
> Indeed!  I missed that somehow.  And his <<< ... >>> suggestion is
> also very nice.  In the background I already hear Erik opposing to
> this because it's not Scheme :-)

IMHO, we need this to fit in lily's model of music. I.e., you need to define
the specifics of <<< >>> syntax in terms of events and contexts (which, among
other things, requires a notion for cross-voice ties/slurs). Once we have
that, it's probably possible to write a music function which is applied to <<
>> expressions, which would give a syntax like:
\chordal << a4 \\ f8 f~ >>
corresponding to:
<<< a4 \\ f8 f~ >>>

(btw, it may be more consistent if we also add braces around the f8 f~ )

--
Erik