Re: [Fwd: German translation help file]

From: Till Rettig
Subject: Re: [Fwd: German translation help file]
Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 21:49:49 +0200

John Mandereau wrote:
All translation hints other than support for a particular user should be
in English, so that all translators can share it.
Yes, that is totally true
Please read the revised README and translate the parts of README.de that
brings something interesting in addition to the English README.
Well, no I checked it. I don't think there is anything I have in my own version. Just now when I commit I get always the patch about adding this README.de to my own git -- how do I remove this commitish ie. undo the whole thing?

I liked the idea and structure of the new file. Myself also forgot the mention of git status which is defenitely very important. Seems I have to check the part with the check-translation.py myself -- there is a lot of mistakes about wrong commitish numbers and then it finishes with a mistake (so I think it doesn't do the job till the end). I will see that.

Do I now understand right that when problems emerge the git pull will save files under different names (or insert the problem signs, as you had it) and then you have to change them and make git update-index on the very file (this was in a message to Daniel T C. today). I think this is also an important remark, these kind of difficulties will probably appear to the beginner especially often. At least for me, if I changed I file that was already there and made the commit nothing happened. If I would git add it, then I get the mistake that the file is already added. Only with update-index I had success. But this might also be that my version of git is so old...

So this update-index was the only thing I find still somehow important, despite Johannes S. thinks it is not a good idea. Well, might be that there were also some problems whith me and that add will work in the future.

I noted you can issue the git command anywhere, and patches will be always put on top. I don't know if this is so important as to mention.

Like the new README! Thanks

Till