Re: adding installation for windows in German

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: adding installation for windows in German
Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 23:59:24 +0100

Le jeudi 04 janvier 2007 à 21:10 +0200, Till Rettig a écrit :
> I just found out that the installation advices for windows are not
> anymore cygwin, but windows.

Where have you seen that???

>  So I renamed the file and created a patch.
> Seems git works now for me (this time with the git format-patch HEAD^ --
> shouldn't we add this also to the README, or does it only confuse people?).

I suppose knowing how to make a patch against latest fetch of remote
branch (locally named web/master if you follow README from scratch), but
I may mention "git format-patch HEAD^" too. I'll also add a short
explanation about branches (what is a branch, remote/local branches).

> Well, by the way, how is it about the installation of lilypond on
> windows and mac? Aren't there (at least for windows) extra binaries
> available via the download page, so you won't need to install the whole
> cygwin (which, if I remember correctly, is linux for windos)? Where is
> there some explanation about this? Its kind of by chance what you get...
> the clicker will find first the windows binary, but the one who read
> more will discover the "install instructions for windows" wonder, why he
> has to download 60mb and maybe will download this or then will he just
> stop installing this programm...
>
> Or is there something I miss?

cygwin.html and macos.html have not been updated for a while; macos.html
is clearly outdated, but cygwin.html is still valuable (Cygwin provides
2.10.7), so it should't be renamed to windows.html. You're right it
should be clearly mentioned there are 2 LilyPond flavours on Windows
(native and Cygwin).

Cheers
--
John Mandereau <address@hidden>