Re: Backporting doc changes to stable/2.10 [was: Re: Docs check-translat

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Backporting doc changes to stable/2.10 [was: Re: Docs check-translation]
Date: Tue, 09 Jan 2007 22:21:08 +0100

Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
> Graham Percival escreveu:
> > Jean-Charles wrote:
> >> All the documents that I have read about typography and "good use"
> >> show examples introduced with a colon (:) throughout their content.
> >> So I think it is normal French typography to do like this.
> >
> > To be honest, I'm not certain where the no-colon rule came from.  I just
> > checked a few technical books lying around (I'm in a lab) and they
> > sometimes used colons.
> >
> > Not that I consider blogs to be authoritative, but this article makes
> > sense to me:
> > http://www.megginson.com/blogs/quoderat/2005/12/23/mind-your-colons/

It makes sense to me too, for both French and English.  If Jean-Charles
agrees, it will become an official rule for the French docs.  Besides
that, from now I will ask permission before changing any punctuation
sign in the English docs.

> FWIW, I learned the 'avoid colons' rule both from an editor at GNU press
> and the famous mathematician Paul Halmos.
>
> Rules may be different in other languages, of course.

I conclude I shouldn't have changed anything, so unless you complain I'm
going to undo all period replacements I've made in introduction.itely.

Greetings
--
John Mandereau <address@hidden>