Re: proposal: second style for quartertone accidentals

From: Han-Wen Nienhuys
Subject: Re: proposal: second style for quartertone accidentals
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 12:24:05 +0100

Maximilian Albert escreveu:
> Orm Finnendahl schrieb:
>
>>  thanks for pointing that out. That's exactly along the lines I was
>> thinking. Is anybody capable of doing the scheme/lilypond code? I
>> don't know Metafont yet but I think I could handle that part and throw
>> in the glyphs (they are currently PS Type1).
>
> Well, I'd be delighted to give it a try because this sounds exactly like
> the kind of rather easy task which merely distracts the core team from
> doing more difficult and really important stuff but gives newcomers like
> me a chance to play around a little with the code and possibly even make
> a useful contribution.

Exactly.

> . So it seems that the use of "Accidental #'style" is deprecated and one
> should set the alteration-alist directly. (But changing the style
> property still works in v2.11.13, even if I don't know why, given that I
> couldn't find the code handling it). What is the reason for this? To me
> the former notation seems much more intuitive and easy to use.

The recent microtone improvements needed a much more flexible way to map
pitches onto symbols, and it seems superfluous to have two mechanisms for
setting glyphname at the same time.  It would be possible  to have a
mechanism to set the alist based on the style property, but I thought it
would be overkill.

LilyPond Software Design
 -- Code for Music Notation
http://www.lilypond-design.com