Re: proposal: second style for quartertone accidentals

From: Daniel Johnson
Subject: Re: proposal: second style for quartertone accidentals
Date: Mon, 29 Jan 2007 08:53:52 -0800

Han-Wen Nienhuys wrote:
Maximilian Albert escreveu:
. So it seems that the use of "Accidental #'style" is deprecated and one
should set the alteration-alist directly. (But changing the style
property still works in v2.11.13, even if I don't know why, given that I
couldn't find the code handling it). What is the reason for this? To me
the former notation seems much more intuitive and easy to use.

The recent microtone improvements needed a much more flexible way to map
pitches onto symbols, and it seems superfluous to have two mechanisms for
setting glyphname at the same time. It would be possible to have a mechanism to set the alist based on the style property, but I thought it would be overkill.
Among other things I use Lilypond for, I transcribe Byzantine chant, which, rather than being based on quarter-tones, is based on sixth-tones. (Actually it's based on twelfth-tones, but it's rare to encounter an odd number of twelfths.) The arrow accidentals are perfect for this since a natural with a down-arrow can indicate a lowering by a sixth-tone, while a flat with an up-arrow can indicate a lowering by two sixth-tones, etc.

I'd like to be able to translate this accurately into midi output. Is there already a mechanism in place for associating a microtonal relationship with the elements in an alteration-alist, or is this just a pipe dream?

--Daniel