Re: Update syntax

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Re: Update syntax
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2007 12:36:45 -0600

On 2/4/07, Trevor Bača <address@hidden> wrote:
On 2/4/07, Ole Schmidt <address@hidden> wrote:
> Hi Trevor,
>
> When I try to use convert-ly via the terminal (I am using Mac OS X
> 10.4.8)
> or via Lilypond / Compile-menu/ Update syntax, I get the following
> error message:
> -----------------------
>   Traceback (most recent call last):
>    File "/Applications/LilyPond.app/Contents/Resources/bin/convert-
> ly", line 22, in ?
>      import lilylib as ly
> ImportError: No module named lilylib
>
> -----------------------
> This happens with both versions 2.11.15-1 and 2.10.15-1
> what is wrong?
>
> By the way: is there also another way to get the most recent command-
> changes?

Hi Ole,

convert-ly is usually very reliable (and important) from version to
version. But you can also read about the command changes by looking at

  python/convertrules.py

which is the python file that houses the different rules. What you're
looking for in that file are the lines like this ...

  conversions.append (((2, 11, 15), conv, """#'edge-height ->
#'bound-details #'right/left #'text = ..."""))

... which contains three arguments in the version as a tuplet
(2.11.15), the code to do the conversion (labelled conv), and then a
verbal description of the rule enclosed in a triple-quote string. If
you simply read over the verbal descriptions inside those triple-quote
strings, you can get a pretty idea of which commands have changed.

Read from the bottom of the file up since it's only really the most
recent changes that will be interesting.

Hi dev, Hi Graham,

Maybe snarfing convert-ly rules (the textual descriptions, anyway) and
adding to the web docs somewhere would be helpful. (Or maybe this
already exists somewhere and I've never noticed!)

(I know convert-ly takes care of this, but lots of users seem to be
conscientious enough that they'd probably read the syntax changes
version by version if readily available.)

--
Trevor Bača
address@hidden