Re: proposal: second style for quartertone accidentals

From: Trevor Bača
Subject: Re: proposal: second style for quartertone accidentals
Date: Sun, 4 Feb 2007 16:30:18 -0600

On 2/4/07, Maximilian Albert <address@hidden> wrote:
Hi everyone,

motivated by Orm's proposal to make arrowed accidental glyphs available,
I have started a few experiments with the feta mf-sources. They seem to
be quite promising, and I think that we will soon be able to provide the
"arrowed" style as an alternative -- for a suitable meaning of "soon",
though, since Orm and I are both rather busy at the moment.

However, in the process of playing around there have arisen a few
questions. They are currently mostly with regard to the actual glyph
design (I haven't tampered much with the engraving code yet).

< snip >

7) Since I have never used quartertones and other microtones myself: Is
there a difference between, say, a sharp sign with arrow down and a
natural sign with arrow up? As far as I understand it, both denote a
quartertone above the note they are attached to, right? Would it be
desireable to use both of them simultaneously? (If I am not missing
something, this might cause a syntax problem when the cascaded approach
is used.)

Depends on the composer and possibly even the particular score.

One way of using the arrowed glyps is as you describe with enharmonic
equivalence.

Another way (and the one that I see more often ... but this may just
be a side-effect of the particular scores I'm looking at) is that any
up-arrowed glyph simply means "ever so slightly sharp of whatever
accidental I'm attached to" and the "ever so slightly flat" for any
down-arrowed glyph. This allows for, for example, the following
downward sequence of distinct pitches:

* C natural
* C down-arrowed natural (just barely flat of C natural, but not as
flat as C quartertone flat)
* C up-arrowed quarterflat (just barely sharp of C quarterflat)
* C quarterflat (precisely one quartertone flat of C natural)
* C down-arrowed quarterflat (just barely flat of C quarterflat)
* etc ...

--
Trevor Bača
address@hidden