Re: default rest size (whole and half)

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: default rest size (whole and half)
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2007 22:48:35 +0100

As has been noted in some discussion on the email lists,
the fonts in LilyPond are generally on the heavy side,
compared to most other typesetting software. However,
the main hackers have deliberately choosen these font
dimensions, inspired by hand engraved music by publishers
such as Baerenreiter.
If you compare
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.11/Documentation/user/lilypond/Rests#Rests
and
http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.0/Documentation/user/out-www/lilypond/Rests.html#Rests
you will see that the rest layout in LilyPond hasn't changed
for a long time.

  /Mats

Scott Miller wrote:

Thanks,
Here is an example. I recently made a part for a player who commented
that the whole and half rests looked much to large compared to
everything else on the page. I'm not sure if this is a just matter of
personal preference, and therefore a non-issue? I'm curious to get
feedback on this issue. Thanks for your help,

Scott

On 2/27/07, Graham Percival <address@hidden> wrote:

Scott Miller wrote:
>   Hi, the default whole and half rest size is much too large, using
> Lilypond 2.11.19. For each whole or half rest, I have resorted to
> putting in "\set fontSize = #-2.5" before the rest.  Could this be
> changed for a future release? Thanks all,

Could you create a minimal example of this?
http://lilypond.org/web/devel/participating/bugs

If you could create a png with an earlier version of lilypond to
demonstrate the difference, that would be great.

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing
        Signals, Sensors and Systems
        Royal Institute of Technology