Re: lilypond

From: Mats Bengtsson
Subject: Re: lilypond
Date: Thu, 01 Mar 2007 16:14:06 +0100

If you search the mailing list archives, you will find a number of related
discussions. See also the related questions at http://lilypond.org/web/about/faq Note that several people on the mailing list have testified that they can enter the music much faster using the LilyPond text format than using a graphical interface
or a MIDI keyboard.

  /Mats

greg A Wissing wrote:
LS,

A few times I have stumbled upon this Lilypond project of yours. What an
incredible amount of work has been done, and the print results of the scores look splendid indeed.
But, I am amazed, if not stupefied in amazement, that with such a capital
of knowledge nobody in your ranks has thought of making a decent working user interface of this magnificent software. I think it can be done, and should be done next as a logical step in the development process. For me, and I'm sure a lot of other music people, using the asci keyboard along with a prof. level of programming parlance is out of reach, sort of acabadabra. Yes, we composers are very interested in a score notator that can write ANYthing, and do it well. But most of us are want a tool that is both comprehensive and intuitive. It seems to me that you are almost there, if I understand it well, even MIDI files can be edited!. With a little effort you can beat Finale and others. What is there against the use of the mouse, and who cares if Lilypond ends up to be a fine composing app. with top rank score possibilities? Along with that, I read comment in your files about Finale, but have you ever looked into Logic, Cubase and Sibelius? The competition is not doing so bad at all in the score field, yes, there are severe shortcomings, but things are not half as bad as in your comparisons. If, in developing such an interface, I can be of assistance I would be glad to get involved in one way or another. I am both a composer and a graphic designer. I do have an insight in what an interface should do.
Sincerely,
Gregory Wissing

        Mats Bengtsson
        Signal Processing