Re: proposal: second style for quartertone accidentals

From: Maximilian Albert
Subject: Re: proposal: second style for quartertone accidentals
Date: Sat, 10 Mar 2007 18:21:32 +0100

Hi Chris,

> I tried editing the feta mf sources, but I
> can't seem to get the modified fonts to load into lilypond (2.11.20).
> i.e. I've edited "feta11.mf", saved as feta11.svg and replaced the
> default one in the lilypond installation, but a lilypond score with
> #(set-global-staff-size 11.22)  doesn't display the alteration.  I
> don't have to recompile everything, do I?

As far as I can tell: Yes, you do. For a clean solution you need a new
accidental style so it is necessary to adapt the code which handles this
(in order to tell Lilypond when to use the new accidentals and when to
use the old ones; if I understood it correctly you simply tried to
replace the old ones?). This also requires unique identifiers for the
new glyphs, and if I am not missing anything there is no way around
directly editing the metafont source and recompiling.

> As an alternative, could I make a small donation to get the arrows
> within the next few weeks?  :)

As you probably noticed when reading the emails, Orm Finnendahl and I
started working on this but both of us were quite busy in the meantime.
Since there were a couple of issues with the design that were not
obvious from the outset it has been resting for a while. (It was no
problem, for example, to design an arrowed sharp-sign that looks
pleasing for itself; but it seems to be a nontrivial task how to make it
look good both *between* and *on* the stafflines.)

I will contact you off-list so that we can exchange our experiences and
our work so far. I think it might be possible to get this working within
the next few weeks but I don't promise anything because I can't tell how
much time I (and others) will have.

Cheers
Max