RE: Patches for improved fret-diagrams

From: Carl D. Sorensen
Subject: RE: Patches for improved fret-diagrams
Date: Sun, 8 Apr 2007 21:29:47 -0600

Sure, I can change them to subproperties.  I'm sure it would just take a
'details property, which would also be an alist, so we can use
chain-assoc-get on 'details to get the subproperty values.

I know that you've been concerned about namespace pollution caused by
fret diagrams.  I understand and share your concern.  I wouldn't have
made the previous changes, except they were requested by a user.  In
fact, I sent the user changed .scm files to use before I even rolled a
patch for the main code, because I was concerned about the namespace.
The user was also asking if we could have separate markups for each
individual dot on the fret diagram.  I've developed (in my mind, but not
in code) a scheme for doing this that would have a 'dot-markups property
(or sub-property) to handle all of the possibilities for the dots.

The main concern I have about this is documenting the possible values
for 'details.  Do you have an idea for how this documentation might be
done?  If we replace all of the individual fret-diagram properties with
a single 'details property, would the 'details property be (a) specific
for fret diagrams, or (b) a general property that could apply to any
grob that might have lots of properties?  Of course (b) is the most
reasonable thing to do.

Then do we need to define a scheme file grob-details.scm  which would
have indices by both grob and detailed property, and the documentation
would have some way to snarf grob-details.scm to create 'details
documentation lists for each grob type that uses details?

I'm not sure how grob-properties.scm turns into the documentation page.
Can you tell me where I ought to look for this?  And can I use this as a
template for doing something with 'details?

Thanks,

Carl