Re: TeX-related things are very slow when I have lots of files

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: TeX-related things are very slow when I have lots of files
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 06:29:38 +0200 (CEST)

> Now lets create some files:
> $ make -C Documentation/user web
> # Ctrl-C after a minute or so
> $ time mf-nowin -progname=mf "\mode:=ljfour; mode_setup; end."
> real    0m32.998s
> user    0m28.638s
> sys     0m4.336s

Try this for both cases:

  KPATHSEA_DEBUG=-1 mf-nowin -progname=mf "\mode:=ljfour; mode_setup; end."

and press Ctrl-C after, say, two seconds, if necessary.  The
comparison of the output should help identify the `hot spots'.  [I
assume that you are running a distribution like tetex or TeXLive which
uses the kpathsea library for searching files.]

What you describe shouldn't happen.  Maybe your TeX distribution is
somehow screwed up.  If everything fails, reinstall it or upgrade to a
newer version.  On my platform (using GNU/Linux with TeXLive 2007)
everything is just fine.

     Werner