Re: TeX-related things are very slow when I have lots of files

From: Joe Neeman
Subject: Re: TeX-related things are very slow when I have lots of files
Date: Sat, 14 Apr 2007 19:00:26 +1000

On Saturday 14 April 2007 18:01, Werner LEMBERG wrote:
> > > Try this for both cases:
> > >
> > >   KPATHSEA_DEBUG=-1 mf-nowin -progname=mf "\mode:=ljfour; mode_setup;
> > > end."
> >
> > Thanks for the quick reply. I've tried this and attached the
> > (heavily snipped) output. The main thing I noticed is that it is
> > scanning paths like
> > /home/joe/programming/lilypond/Documentation/user/out-www/source/user/out
> >-www/source/user/out-www/lily-3c5cc96107.pdf. Since "source" is a symbolic
> > link to "../..", could it be getting trapped in a loop? Anyway, I don't
> > really know how to interperet the output, so I'll attach it. If you want
> > to see a less abbreviated version, I can do >that too.
>
> Sorry, I don't have time to analyze it.  Instead, I'm sending you
> privately the above command as called on my platform in directory
>
>   /home/wl/git/lilypond.compiled/Documentation/user/out-www>
>
> (which contains the stuff of a successful `make web').  It's only
> 19kByte!  This means that something seriously must be screwed up on
> your box...

Ok, thanks. I noticed that it searches everything in my home directory despite
the fact that my home directory isn't in the search path.
However, "/home/joe//texmf" was in the search path and removing it solved the
problem. It seems that kpathsea doesn't like the double slash: I had $HOME
set to /home/joe/ and changing it to /home/joe solved the problem.

Thanks for your help,
Joe