Re: Updates to the website

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Updates to the website
Date: Thu, 31 May 2007 22:53:05 +0200

Le jeudi 31 mai 2007 à 18:12 +0300, Till Rettig a écrit :
> Ok, I tried it again: I did git reset to the commit mentioned in the
> files. So git said both of them (options.html and
> browser-language.html) are changed and I applied them again. This is
> now patch 0001.

0001 doesn't apply, and I haven't tried 0002.

If you want to see yourself what's wrong, it's a good Git exercise:
checkout a branch from current git.sv.gnu.org web/master (git-fetch the
remote branch then use git-checkout to create a new branch starting from
the remote branch), then try to apply the patches your generated with
'git-am 000x-foobar.txt'.  After that, don't forget to reset git-am in
case it failed (with 'git am --skip') and switch back to your own branch
with 'git checkout YOUR_BRANCH'.

>  Then I remembered I had to include the current commitish, this is
> patch 0002.
> I don't know if they apply now because you have applied the first
> patch already.

Have you pulled from git.sv.gnu.org first?  Always do it before
generating any patch.

>  Git is still some kind of secret to me, so if nothing works I will
> delete everything and build the git repository on my computer again.

You won't make any progress in understanding Git if you restart from
scratch as soon as you have some problem.

If you really can't make a clean patch with git-format-patch, make a
patch with git-diff (see README).

Cheers
John