Re: Doc split: "program usage"

From: John Mandereau
Subject: Re: Doc split: "program usage"
Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 08:14:38 +0200

Le jeudi 26 juillet 2007 à 21:46 -0700, Graham Percival a écrit :
> I'd like to have a new manual "book": Program usage.  This book would
> include the INSTALL docs, and chapters 13-15 (running lilypond,
> lilypond-book, and converting) from the existing manual.  Basically, the
> "user manual" deals with the .ly file format, and the "program usage"
> does everything else.  I've never been happy with the final chapters of
> the current user manual; I think this is the right solution.

Good idea!  This documentation structure will be clearer, and will make
the manual a bit smaller.

> Unfortunately, this requires some playing with low-level texinfo and the
> makefiles; I'm not comfortable with either of them.
>
> John, I think you're quite familiar with our build system and whatnot
> from all the translation stuff -- could you create the basic framework
> for this?  Once it's there, I'll rewrite the INSTALL, potentially add
> chapters, potentially rework the current chapters 13-15 (in the new
> document), etc; I'm just not certain how to get our build system to
> compile docs from:
>
> lilypond.tely
> program.tely
>
> in the same directory.  (assuming that it's ok to have this in
> Documentation/user/   ... I suppose that another option is to create
> Documentation/program/ )

The simplest solution is to add program.tely to Documentation/user:
there is already music-glossary.tely there too.

I'll have a look at this today or tomorrow; I'll push to Git as soon as
it works for me.

Cheers,
John