Spacing regressions

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Spacing regressions
Date: Wed, 01 May 2013 09:36:40 +0200

Probably quite obvious: we have a number of spacing regressions causing
trouble right now.  Particularly worryisome are the page layout
regressions: where is the point in "tighter spacing" if we fit less
rather than more material on the same page?  Yes, I know there is some
point to it, but it is clear that we are currently having a few rather
heavy-handed regressions messing up things more than before.

The changed rest spacing is in and will need exposure.  I am still not
finished with PostScript output (I finally found the "curveto" operator
which should help with somewhat better PDF-convertible PostScript if one
takes a single Bezier curve for each quartercircle of a rounded
rectangle.  That loses the perfect circularity but we don't need it
anyway).

But what I am currently working on is basically Stencil::add_to_edge and
hspace/vspace and friends.  Coming into shape reasonably nicely, but not
yet finished.

And in the afternoon I am leaving for Poland (one day short since I
booked the bus too late).  I hope that I have the next iteration ready
by the end of next week anyway (returning on Monday).

At any rate, the way it is going I find by far our most important task
for 2.18 is getting the page breaking back into reliability.  More
important than all microspacing problems which at least only have local
effects.