Re: Point and Click does not work on Windows

From: Eluze
Subject: Re: Point and Click does not work on Windows
Date: Mon, 6 May 2013 07:39:54 -0700 (PDT)

ArnoldTheresius wrote

> Eluze wrote
>>
>> ps: I don't know why the file lilypod-invoke-editor has no extension. imo
>> it should be renamed and the registry for textedit would be ok.
> Well, at first:
> Windows uses the file extension to define (in the registry) with which
> application a file has to be opened (interpreted), while on UNIX systems
> this interpeter command is written in the first line (after the two
> characters »#!«).
> Consequently, it would be best to 'create' lilypond-invoke-editor for UNIX
> builds but lilypond-invoke-editor.scm for Windows builds.
> Unfortunately I did not find where to define this switch. As the
> point-and-click call mechanism is only targeting »what command is defined
> in the windows registry« it's more simple to keep the file names for both
> Windows and UNIX identical, and the »textedit registry entry« on windows
> needs to be corrected in both situations, for the file with extension
> ».scm« as well as for the file without this extension.
>
> Next:
> I tried notepad++. It should also be called with »start« in windows. And
> after only a little usage of notepad++ I would prefer it to lilypad.
>
> Finally (for today):
> I include here a new copy of .../scm/editor.scm (based on Version
> 2.17.16), also the (not changed since my last info) file
> lilypond-invoke-editor.
> point-and-click-on-windows.zip
> <http://lilypond.1069038.n5.nabble.com/file/n145504/point-and-click-on-windows.zip>
>
> It's ready for testing.

hi Arnold

I did a few tests:

from the command-line it works perfectly with the short invoke of notepad++
- for that I had to change the lines below in "lilypond-invoke-editor.scm"

    ("notepad++" . "notepad++ -n%(line)s -c%(column)s %(file)s") ;;; ok!
    ;("notepad++" . ,(if (eq? PLATFORM 'windows)
    ;  "start c:\\Program Files (x86)2.17.17\\Notepad++\\notepad++.exe
-n%(line)s -c%(column)s %(file)s"
    ;  "notepad++ -n%(line)s -c%(column)s %(file)s"))

the problem is the space in "C:\program files(x86)\...\notepad++.exe" - I
couldn't find a quick solution how to put the necessary apostrophes.

then I tried the *real* point-and-click from a pdf-file but no success (I
don't know if my registry is broken after all the attempts/changes I made)

it would be interesting to know what entries exactly are needed in the
registry.

it seems the textedit protocol is handled by the (standard) internet browser
- can it be done without?
- if not, what special settings are required there?

thanks for your work!
Eluze