Re: we now have "lilypond" organization on GitHub

From: Graham Percival
Subject: Re: we now have "lilypond" organization on GitHub
Date: Mon, 16 Sep 2013 18:10:10 +0800

On Mon, Sep 16, 2013 at 10:49:42AM +0200, David Kastrup wrote:
> > What's wrong with GitHub, anyway?
>
> It requires separate accounts and credentials (much more likely to be a
> target for attacks), has its own "terms of service", may choose to
> discontinue projects based on commercial criteria, can cause tool
> lock-in and so on, relies on its own proprietary software.

All the above is true, but github also provides a nicer way for
developers to interact with git, by at least one order of
magnitude.  I'd actually give github one order of magnitude for
their overall website, plus an additional order of magnitude for
their "git help" doc pages, which are absolutely fantastic.

The concern about terms of service and discontinuing services are
valid ones, however unlike google, github is *all* about the
developers.  I can't see them closing down their free open-source
stuff, given how much bad will that would generate.  And even if
they did, somebody involved in lilypond would likely have a
commercial account with them and could host lilypond code --
again, that's not an option with google.

> I'm not sure what the original motivation for setting up lilypond-extra
> and gub on Github might have been,

Gub was originally hosted on lilypond.org IIRC, but Jan put it on
github.  When I needed a quick repo for lilypond-extra, it was far
easier to click around on github rather than requesting one from
savannah.  At the time, savannah was already offering git.

I heartily endorse GUB moving back to Jan's account or to a shared
lilypond account, and doubly so for all the other git repositories
(lilypond-extra, lilypad, whatever else).  One nice thing about
git (as opposed to issue reports) is that it's extremely portable.
Once those repositories are forked, I'll remove my version of them
so that there's no confusion.