Re: we now have "lilypond" organization on GitHub

From: Janek Warchoł
Subject: Re: we now have "lilypond" organization on GitHub
Date: Wed, 18 Sep 2013 13:39:35 +0200

2013/9/18 David Kastrup <address@hidden>:

>>> The one area where I'd consider a web interface a possibly good
>>> tradeoff of matching tools to skills would be translation work: that
>>> could/should be a lot more crowdsourced than it is now.  It turns out
>>> that organizing and tracking incremental translation work requires
>>> being able to work with various scripts and stuff: the translation
>>> workflow does not benefit from web-based tools at all.  As a
>>> consequence, we have at most one translator per language.
>>
>> That's what I said.
>
> No, it isn't.  I said "the _one_ area" while you are trying to sell
> web-based interfaces as a panacea.  For by far _most_ of the involved
> work areas, web-based interfaces scare more potentially serious
> contributors away than otherwise.

Just a reminder: nobody's talking about replacing everything with
web-based interfaces.  I think that the discussion is about providing
both web-based and other interfaces.

And i know at least one potential serious contributor that is driven
away by complicated interfaces.  And he seemed to quite like GitHub
workflow after trying it.

Janek