Re: PATCHES: Countdown for September 21st - 06:00 GMT

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: PATCHES: Countdown for September 21st - 06:00 GMT
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 10:02:56 +0200

David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

> James <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Hello,
>>
>> Seems I am back on-line. Thanks for filling in David et al.
>>
>> *Countdown -- September 21st -- 06:00 GMT*   *
>> *    *
>> *    *
>> *    *
>> *
>
> Oops.  I had the countdown run to Sept 20 and finished it as scheduled,
> so you'll find less work to complete tomorrow than likely expected.
>
> As a note aside: I had patchy-staging run with CPU_COUNT=8 -j8 and it
> completed just fine (native Ubuntu 13.10 with a manually installed
> TeXlive installation as the Ubuntu binaries of mpost are still broken).
>
> I suspect that your virtual machine is making trouble around 8 parallel
> jobs.

Or your executables.  My setup might not be all that representative
since I am running a 32bit system on a 64bit kernel (which allows me to
run the occasional 64bit executable, probably including VMs).

But I really suspect you are hitting some VM limit or bug here.  If you
have 8 real CPUs, maybe you should tell your VM to utilize only 7 or so
at the max.  make -j8 would likely still run 8 jobs in parallel, but the
virtual kernel would only have seven of them running on simultaneous
CPUs at any point of time.