Re: PATCHES: Countdown for September 21st - 06:00 GMT

From: James
Subject: Re: PATCHES: Countdown for September 21st - 06:00 GMT
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 09:14:09 +0100

Hello,

On 21/09/13 09:02, David Kastrup wrote:
David Kastrup <address@hidden> writes:

James <address@hidden> writes:

Hello,

Seems I am back on-line. Thanks for filling in David et al.

*Countdown -- September 21st -- 06:00 GMT*      *
*       *
*       *
*       *
*
Oops.  I had the countdown run to Sept 20 and finished it as scheduled,
so you'll find less work to complete tomorrow than likely expected.

As a note aside: I had patchy-staging run with CPU_COUNT=8 -j8 and it
completed just fine (native Ubuntu 13.10 with a manually installed
TeXlive installation as the Ubuntu binaries of mpost are still broken).

I suspect that your virtual machine is making trouble around 8 parallel
jobs.
Or your executables.  My setup might not be all that representative
since I am running a 32bit system on a 64bit kernel (which allows me to
run the occasional 64bit executable, probably including VMs).

But I really suspect you are hitting some VM limit or bug here.  If you
have 8 real CPUs, maybe you should tell your VM to utilize only 7 or so
at the max.  make -j8 would likely still run 8 jobs in parallel, but the
virtual kernel would only have seven of them running on simultaneous
CPUs at any point of time.

Yes you could be right. It doesn't really matter as I have always run with -j7 *and* 7 virtual CPUs - which was why I didn't at first spot the 8 VCPU setting anomaly. It was just a bit of a head-scratcher.

I've all but finished the new lilydev (which is using Ubuntu base 13.04 instead of 10.04) and will proceed to give it a bit of a soak test (running all the usual stuff I do) for a few days next week to make sure it is 'presentable' to the masses. So will see if this also shows this same symptom.

I am curious to know why someone would install a 32 bit LINUX OS on 64 bit hardware though.

James