Re: PATCHES: Countdown for September 21st - 06:00 GMT

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: PATCHES: Countdown for September 21st - 06:00 GMT
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 10:26:21 +0200

James <address@hidden> writes:

> I've all but finished the new lilydev (which is using Ubuntu base
> 13.04 instead of 10.04) and will proceed to give it a bit of a soak
> test (running all the usual stuff I do) for a few days next week to
> make sure it is 'presentable' to the masses. So will see if this also
> shows this same symptom.
>
> I am curious to know why someone would install a 32 bit LINUX OS on 64
> bit hardware though.

It's more like swapping a 32bit kernel out for 64bit kernel one without
otherwise messing with the system.  Using the right compiler options, I
_can_ compile and test 64 bit executables now which helps diagnosing
problems.  I'm probably still missing too many libraries to compile a
full 64bit LilyPond, but I have a chance at debugging executables
somebody else compiles.

And if my system gets hosed, I can use a rescue disk on a pure 32bit
processor to get it back running on an old computer.