Re: Lilypond benchmarking

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Lilypond benchmarking
Date: Sat, 21 Sep 2013 15:12:20 +0200

"Phil Holmes" <address@hidden> writes:

> 2.12 - 162 pages; 2.14 - 147; 2.16 - 142; 2.17.26 - 158pp.  2.17 is
> noticeably looser, but I concluded I'd adjust some of the spacing
> controls to fit more to a page.

That's actually a real problem.  Now 2.17.27 will have some padding
significantly reduced (halved?) if I understand Keith correctly, so we
should get some pages more out.

If I remember correctly, the skyline code made it desirable to increase
some paddings to avoid jamming things too closely.

And also if I remember correctly, the page break decisions do _not_ make
use of skylines.  Instead, skylines are only used for spreading out the
page _after_ pagebreaking, so the net result will be more pages rather
than fewer.

I may have understood something wrong here.  However, if my
understanding is _not_ mistaken here, I think we should not release 2.18
before we have integrated the interstaff positioning using skylines into
the page breaking decisions.

And of course, the distance between two successive skylines should be
measured _once_ at most.  It probably needs to become a part of vertical
spacing rods or something.