Re: improving our contributing tools and workflow

From: Joseph Rushton Wakeling
Subject: Re: improving our contributing tools and workflow
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2013 15:22:45 +0200

On 26/09/13 15:04, David Kastrup wrote:
How many substantial patches would you expect yourself to be
contributing in the wake of such a move per month to LilyPond?

Don't know. Most of my potential contributions to Lilypond are likely to be documentation -- among other things I'd like to revisit and finish up the Contemporary Music section.

But in a way I think this is the point -- I'm likely to continue to be an occasional contributor, sending something in when I have something I'm enthusiastic about when I have time and space to work on it. As things stand it's difficult to get that enthusiasm because there's a load of finnicky and annoying things involved with making a submission. If the ease of contribution was comparable to GitHub, I'd feel a lot better about doing so. I do appreciate your offer to just send patchlists to the mailing list and let you guys handle them, and I will try and do that, but it's still not as nice as a good code-hosting system.

By the way, I'm not advocating GitHub as a solution. I'm pointing out GitHub as a now typical example of typical user experience contributing to free software projects.

I also think that kind of usability would also pay off for you and other core developers and code reviewers, even if there are is no substantial increase in patch submission. I can understand if you don't see things the same way, though.