Emergency call. Or not.

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Emergency call. Or not.
Date: Sun, 16 Feb 2014 15:45:08 +0100

I find that I'm currently dead-locking in decision-making with a
somewhat tedieous task.  Here is what it boils down to: basically

git checkout -b translation origin/translation
git log --reverse --no-merges origin/translation..origin Documentation

Now in a separate window check every commit on whether it

a) only contains material relevant to 2.18
b) does not do infrastructure changes (like the new web layout and stuff)
c) is not likely to cause problems
d) is definitely something that would benefit 2.18.1

and if it does, cherry-pick it into translation with

git cherry-pick "whatever the commit id is"

Possibly will have to resolve conflicts.

The list of changes contains 117 changes.  Huh, that seems actually too
much to do in an hour or so even if one drops most of those commits.

I don't think it makes sense to do this in a rush.  So maybe we just
punt for now and let Phil release 2.18.1, and then we try doing this
leasurely until 2.18.2, in 6 weeks or so.  In that case, the translators
have a chance to catch up, too.  And then we can just leave it alone,
move the translation branch over to 2.19 and focus on it for good.