Automated engraving benchmarks

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Automated engraving benchmarks
Date: Thu, 27 Feb 2014 09:44:24 +0100

Hi, I just had an idea.

We've been talking a lot about automated engraving which is LilyPond's official claim. When discussing our Fried edition David K rightly pointed out that a score requiring numerous manual tweaks is locked to a particular LilyPond version and can't easily be updated for newer LP releases.

But as far as I can see there is no reliable way to see how far we have got with this goal.

See the attached example. This clearly shows that LilyPond has gone a long way in recent years (particularly compared to Finale where the (attached) 2014 output is nearly identical to that of Fin2008). But it also shows that we're far from being "automatic".

I suggest creating a set of "benchmark scores" and putting them somewhere on the website. Not at a prominent place in the introduction, but maybe somewhere around "Development" or "Community" (I will get to that part of the website some day ...). After all, despite all headroom for improvement LilyPond really doesn't have to hide its capabilities in this area.

The rules would be: No manual tweaks (no. 1!) and no style overrides.
Only page set-up is allowed (but there only page and staff size, margins only when there's a good reason). The scores should represent LilyPond's default output which should also make them maintainable and unlikely to break with syntax changes.

I'm currently entering an old dodecaphonic style study for violin and piano which quite looks like late Schoenberg. (The surprise about how incredibly readable this complex score is rendered was the trigger for this idea.) When it's finished I'll offer this as an example.

Another one will (hopefully) be one of the complex Fried songs which _are_ real challenges for LilyPond.

But of course we should then have "default" scores like a classical piano piece, a string quartet and a moderately complex orchestral score.

What do you think?

Best
Urs