Re: Python 3 support

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: Python 3 support
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2014 11:24:58 +0100

Julien Rioux <address@hidden> writes:

> On Tue, Mar 18, 2014 at 3:33 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
>
>> I was of the opinion that GUB already uses Python 2.6?
>>

> GUB master at https://github.com/gperciva/gub (the current "official" home)
> definitely does not use python 2.6. It ships python 2.4.5

Oh.  I thought we had moved back to:

> If you are using GUB master at https://github.com/janneke/gub then it
> does use python 2.6, but it lacks the fix for python's hashlib module,
> which then fails to import at run time. I added that fix and a couple
> others in the previously mentioned pull request.

> (BTW moving GUB to a user-agnostic home such as
> https://github.com/lilypond

> would make sense to avoid such confusion.  After Jan went mostly
> inactive, Graham took over as the "official" home, but he is now
> himself going into inactivity)

Should we try asking Savannah, either non-GNU or GNU?  How much work
would it be to meet Savannah's licensing/guideline restrictions
regarding binary blobs and stuff?  How many of those are
LilyPond-specific?

If there are technically unavoidable obstacles, the special strategical
significance of GUB might still make it possible to negotiate about the
hosting with Richard Stallman, currently the ultimate decision maker.

I think that cross-platform support is currently troublesome for enough
projects that the "compile under GNU/Linux, provide everywhere" approach
of GUB would mean a significant concentration of efforts for other GNU
projects as well.