Re: Alternating time signatures

From: Peter Bjuhr
Subject: Re: Alternating time signatures
Date: Thu, 08 May 2014 23:48:20 +0200

On 2014-05-08 12:34, Urs Liska wrote:

No, I wouldn't need anything like that.
The idea (how I would suggest to enter this kind of alternating meters) is:
- Print the combined time signature once
- hide the time signatures for the following music
- use \time just as normal, with all implications to beaming, beatStructure etc.

Other than with \compoundMeter the printed time signature does not really affect the music. I would simply make the first part of it the effective \time by default.

Good progress with the script for this! I would just like to refer to Gould, she recommends using a hyphen when the alternate is irregular. The passage about this is rather short so I transcribe the whole of it:

When metres alternate irregularly, place both time signatures at the outset, with a hyphen between them, for clarity: 2/4 - 3/4

This notation is useful in chamber music, to save writing in the many alternating time signatures, although in conducted music it is better to have each time signature where required. In individual parts, rest bars will require the relevant time signature - since the player will otherwise have no indication of bar length.
Behind Bars, p. 179

Best
Peter