Re: Alternating time signatures

From: Peter Bjuhr
Subject: Re: Alternating time signatures
Date: Fri, 09 May 2014 09:42:08 +0200

On 2014-05-09 00:08, Urs Liska wrote:
Good progress with the script for this! I would just like to refer to
Gould, she recommends using a hyphen when the alternate is irregular.
The passage about this is rather short so I transcribe the whole of it:

When metres alternate irregularly, place both time signatures at the
outset, with a hyphen between them, for clarity: 2/4 - 3/4

I've never seen this and would probably not consider using it. But if Gould suggests it I think I will have to take it into account.

I've never seen it either, but I think there's a good point in clarifying the irregularity. It's too easy to assume a pattern. I think the point with using alternating time signatures is to simplify the notation without obscuring it.

This notation is useful in chamber music, to save writing in the many
alternating time signatures, although in conducted music it is better
to have each time signature where required. In individual parts, rest
bars will require the relevant time signature - since the player will
otherwise have no indication of bar length.

Actually I _have_ been exposed to that kind of crappy instrumental part in orchestral music ;-) It's so ridiculous: You have 50 measures rest - only to realize _during rehearsal_ that there are lots of time and tempo changes in between ...

Although I mainly agree with Gould here I think this can at least partly be solved by using lower-case 'r' instead of the upper-case 'R'.

Best
Peter