Re: Notation programs usage survey

From: Valentin Villenave
Subject: Re: Notation programs usage survey
Date: Fri, 9 May 2014 11:16:27 +0200

On Fri, May 9, 2014 at 11:00 AM, David Kastrup <address@hidden> wrote:
> In particular, we'll be more likely to find small publishers there which
> are more flexible in choosing their tools and workflows.

In my (albeit limited) experience, it’s actually *worse* with small
publishers, that often amount to a one-man or two-men operation where
all scores are done the same way, with the same habits and the same
tools. I suspect large houses (Peters, anyone?) may afford more
flexibility and experimentation.

> Well, it's probably hard to properly _weigh_ a survey including small
> publishers.  Nevertheless, it would seem like a broader base would be
> more interesting to people wanting to _start_ publishing as it would
> cover more publishers without legacy business and workforce to
> integrate, and with more leeway to experiment.

An annoying thing about limiting oneself to large publishers is that
it fails to take into account the new opportunities opened by
"decentralized"* technologies, in terms of self-publishing,
pay-what-you-want distribution models, re-distribution, alternative
licensing etc. I suspect this is where such programs as Lily have the
most ability to thrive, whereas outdated (albeit still alive and
kicking) players seem more-or-less confined to "legitimized" venues
such as concert halls, conservatories etc.

Cheers,
Valentin.

[*]... or "NSA-centric", since it’s the Internet we’re talking about :-/