Re: [SPAM] Re: Notation programs usage survey

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: [SPAM] Re: Notation programs usage survey
Date: Sun, 11 May 2014 22:32:49 +0200

Am 11.05.2014 22:29, schrieb Janek Warchoł:
Hi,

I just received a copy of a survey that Universal Edition did amongst a
number of "European publishing houses". I'm not sure if that' a public
document so I only sent it to a list of addressees, if you're interested in
it write me a private message.

Not surprisingly this exclusively states Score, Finale and Sibelius.
Interestingly it also names a number of potentially daunting challenges in
keeping them to work for a considerable time. And LilyPond (or text based
tools in general) convincingly address exactly these issues.

I think I will write to the author of that survey (UE's head of IT
department), but will wait with that until I may have a few more ideas and
maybe some feedback.

Any ideas, comments?

It's good that they realize what problems may arise from using
Fin/Sib/Score (for example the vulnerabilities of XP - a very serious
bug affecting XP was indeed discovered recently, and it seems that
some pressure was needed to persuade Microsoft to fix that bug for
XP).

Seeing such reasonable approach i find it hard to believe that they
flatly refused using LilyPond when you talked with them...

The one authoring that survey is someone else than the people I talked with so far. As he's the "head of IT" he may be more attentive for that kind of argumentation.

Anyway, as David said, LilyPond is not a perfect cure for these
problems - yet.  But its perspectives are, i think, better than other
software:
- it has a long history of being cross-platform, and it's mainly
developed on Linux, which - contrary to popular belief - is not that
niche of a system (for example most of IT professionals at my company
use it).  It will not become abandonware as Score.
- its quality and backward compatibility can be controlled by the user
community, and they can be improved with funding (quite possible for
big publishers).

... or academic institutions. I'm interested what my Berne excursion will turn up ...

Urs

best,
Janek

--