Re: Issue 3918: Add \alternatingTimeSignatures (issue 97110045)

From: Paul Morris
Subject: Re: Issue 3918: Add \alternatingTimeSignatures (issue 97110045)
Date: Thu, 22 May 2014 19:34:57 -0700 (PDT)

David Kastrup wrote
> "\redraw" implies overdrawing, and the others don't carry a "visual"
> connotation.  True, neither does \omit.
>
> Apart from "replace" being more likely to collide with other uses, the
> order of arguments would favor substitute as its grammar can be
>
>     substitute xxx for yyy
>
> compared to
>
>     replace xxx with yyy
>
> and the usage would list the replacement first.  \retouch is not really
> a two-object verb, so while it does describe the action nicely, its
> usage is not as natural.

Good points on the advantages of \substitute over \replace.  On \redraw and
\retouch I'd say that \redraw is actually a better description of the
action.  Here are some definitions (from New Oxford American Dictionary):

retouch - improve or repair (a painting, a photograph, makeup, etc.) by
making slight additions or alterations.

redraw - draw or draw up again or differently: a judge forced Los Angeles to
redraw its districts | the diagram was redrawn.

So while retouch implies slight changes to what's already there (and remains
there, not removed or replaced), redraw conveys replacement by a new
version.

But as you said, neither of them are two-object verbs so the usage is not as
natural as with \substitute.

Cheers,
-Paul