Re: varC clefs in 2.19

From: James
Subject: Re: varC clefs in 2.19
Date: Fri, 30 May 2014 16:16:53 +0100

On 30/05/14 14:12, address@hidden wrote:

----- Original Message -----
From: "James" <address@hidden>
To: address@hidden, "lilypond-devel" <address@hidden>
Sent: Friday, May 30, 2014 9:26:56 AM

On 30/05/14 10:24, James wrote:
On 29/05/14 23:11, address@hidden wrote:
I was just looking over the "changes" page for the current
development version (2.19.x) and the section with the new clef glyphs
caught my eye.  The example given for; \clef "varC" *seems* to be
alto clef only.
Yes that seems right from the file changes.

http://git.savannah.gnu.org/gitweb/?p=lilypond.git;a=commit;h=476c0adbf748f1adcb6927a6197d13f3790c8a9b

scm/parser-clef.scm is the file that (I think) determines the position.

This clef in any position is a 'C' clef as it marks middle C.  I'm
sure it must be possible to redefine the clef's position somehow, but
this strikes me as an oversight, especially with all the other clef
transpositions which are readily available.
Seems to be a documentation oversight actually if you look at the diff
for the file parser-clef.scm there _is_ a tenor version.

I'm not a programmer, but I seem to remember trying to document these
other clefs in that are in this file more coherently in, say, the
appendix. I just never got fully around to it.

However can you see if this 'tenor' version is what you wanted?

James
Sorry for replying to my own post. I forget sometimes that not everyone
necessarily reads the code or cares about looking in the code tree in git

Assuming you can understand these files I am referring to then it should
be obvious, but just in case (and so I apologize if I am patronizing
you) you should be able to use

\clef "tenorvarC"

James

I must confess that I've not been using 2.19.  My comments were based on my encounter with the
"changes" page.  If \clef "tenorvarC" puts that 'varC' clef in the tenor
position then my question is answered.
Well let us know :)

Then we know it really does work as expected.

James