Re: es means ees???

From: David Kastrup
Subject: Re: es means ees???
Date: Mon, 06 Oct 2014 13:41:30 +0200

Richard Shann <address@hidden> writes:

> In the lilypond 2.19 installed file
>
> usr/share/lilypond/current/ly/chord-modifiers-init.ly
>
> I see the following at line 27
>
>   <c es ges>-\markup { \super "o" } % should be $\circ$ ?
>

> Here, instead of ees, is written es.
>
> I've tried this out, and it appears to be a synonym, but I don't see
> this documented. Anyone know what's going on?

That's the natural name for it, cf
<URL:http://www.lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/music-glossary/pitch-names>.
I don't know where you have looked for the information, but in the
canonical point of documentation (or, depending on how you view it,
immediately adjacent and cross-referenced from it), namely
<URL:http://lilypond.org/doc/v2.18/Documentation/notation/writing-pitches#note-names-in-other-languages>,

I read

    In Dutch, aes is contracted to as, but both forms are accepted in
    LilyPond. Similarly, both es and ees are accepted. This also applies
    to aeses / ases and eeses / eses. Sometimes only these contracted
    names are defined in the corresponding language files.

The "sometimes" sentence is somewhat hand-waving and it is not clear to
what it applies.  Dutch as the default note entry mode also intended for
foreigners and automatic notename generation, is more lenient in its
forms.  German, IIRC, only accepts the correct contracted forms.