Re: Add chord range to make-part-combine-music (issue 144170043 by addre

From: Keith OHara
Subject: Re: Add chord range to make-part-combine-music (issue 144170043 by address@hidden)
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 23:39:30 -0700

On Thu, 30 Oct 2014 20:19:01 -0700, <address@hidden> wrote:

This is the beginning of the function I've actually been
using:

(define-public (dfe-determine-split-list evl1 evl2 chord-range
enable-solo)
   "@var{evl1} and @var{evl2} should be ascending. @var{chord-range} is a
pair (min . max) defining the distance (in steps) between notes that may
share a stem. If @var{enable-solo} is false, skip solo analysis and
display the rests of both voices."

If I understand, this is the style where if one part plays solo, you show the
rests of the resting part on the score.  J.F.Lucarelli used that style for
Dvorák Symph #7 at
 http://www.mutopiaproject.org/cgibin/piece-info.cgi?id=1901
which is a good test-case for partcombine and its override functions.

"skip solo analysis" doesn't make sense unless you read the code.  I guess the idea is
"instead of using SoloI/II, display the rests of the resting part."

Based on the feedback I've received so far, it seems that reimplementing
this solo control like the forced partcombine states would be the best
approach for that, leaving me free to add the chord-range as an optional
parameter to \partcombine without fear that the options will get out of
hand.  What do you say?

A reasonable choice, given that a no-solo override is related to the other
PartCombineForceEvents (and given the fact that there is no context shared by
the inputs to \partcombine, in which to set context properties like we would
normally prefer).

https://codereview.appspot.com/144170043/