Re: Reduce size of *TeX generated pdfs with lilypond snippets

From: Werner LEMBERG
Subject: Re: Reduce size of *TeX generated pdfs with lilypond snippets
Date: Mon, 29 Dec 2014 06:10:59 +0100 (CET)

> I put the patch in the usual LilyPond form at
>  https://codereview.appspot.com/191360043/
> along with links to LilyPond history and the Ghostscript discussion.

Unfortunately, this doesn't correctly include the new file
`encodingdefs.ps' – it is tagged as a `binary'...

> This helps with TeX documents having several LilyPond inclusions,
> but only after post-processing with pdfsizeopt.py.

Yes.  It's unfortunate that pdfsizeopt is too picky currently to work
reliably with lilypond output.

> My first impression that we do not want this patch,

Can you explain why?  As Knut writes, he wants it encapsulated with a
command line option so that it has be to explicitly activated.  It
should be thus straightforward to remove the related code as soon as a
better solution becomes available.

> but might be wise to go back LilyPond's former use of encoding
> vectors, if we can avoid whatever problems induced HanWen to move to
> using glyph names in the .ps.

Indeed, encoding vector support should be implemented on a lower
level, but until someone works on this, Knut's approach seems
legitimate to me.

    Werner

PS: I'm not happy with the answer from the GS people who simply say
    that the use of the `glyphshow' operator is `rare' and thus not
    supported well.  I consider the use of `glyphshow' quite elegant
    since encoding vectors with its limitation to 256 glyphs is
    technology from 30 years ago...