thinking twice about the new issue tracker

From: Federico Bruni
Subject: thinking twice about the new issue tracker
Date: Wed, 02 Sep 2015 07:30:09 +0200

Hi folks

I know that a lot of time has been invested on Allura, especially by Trevor. So I feel uneasy in writing this email, but I have the feeling that the time costraint didn't help to make the best decision for the new issue tracker.

Allura doesn't seem a software which is going to have many users: poor user
interface, impenetrable documentation (as Phil defined it and I agree).
At the same time, the interim solution (hosting on Sourceforge) has the ads/privacy
problem.

What if we take some time to evaluate other alternatives and in the meanwhile we use Bitbucket or Github? Not Free services, I know, but at least their
business model seems honest.
Any issue tracker will be able to import from Github/Bitbucket, as these are
the most used services nowadays.

I tested the Google Code Issue Exporter on a private repository on bitbucket
and it seems to work fine. Very quick, because the attachments are just
linked: you see the image inline in the issue, but the actual file is not in the bitbucket database, it's a link to storage.googleapi.com. As long as
Google doesn't delete these files in the future, this should be fine.

Regarding the alternatives, I found Gogs, which seems really promising:
http://gogs.io/
https://github.com/gogits/gogs/

The user interface is very similar to github. See for example:
https://try.gogs.io/galaxycui28/init.el/issues/1

The problem is that migrating from Github/Bitbucket is not currently possible:
https://github.com/gogits/gogs/issues/809

What do you think?

PS
While checking if Gogs was already mentioned while discussing about the new
tracker, I found a Gogs instance run by a lilypond user :-)
https://code.vanwa.ch/shu/sing-alongs