Expectation for 'users' who want to build LP without building LP Doc

From: James
Subject: Expectation for 'users' who want to build LP without building LP Doc
Date: Fri, 4 Sep 2015 13:03:57 +0100

Hello,

I've been doing some research with regard to setting up a LP build
environment on the latest Fedora (22) just for my own edification but
also with an aim to update the CG for other users as the information in
there is rather out of date.

Implicit in the CG is that you can download a 'packages' just to compile
LP and another set of 'packages' should you *also* want to compile the
Documentation. I.e. they are mutually exclusive exercises.

It's never bothered me before only because I need to be able to compile
the doc for what I do for the LP project, but it seems that if I didn't
want to download and install the huge 'depbuild' package (which can
exceed 2GB and which includes all the doc-building dependencies that I
might not want), but just install each package manually, I cannot seem
to avoid having to include all the doc-building packages to just build
the binaries - as far as I can tell.

So if I run the configure script (after an autogen.sh --noconfigure) it
runs through all the usual checks but won't let me 'make' without, what
looks like to me, all the doc-building packaages.

Does that matter?

Do 'users' really care?

Am I mistaken?

thanks for your time.