Re: Beginning contributor needs mentor

From: Urs Liska
Subject: Re: Beginning contributor needs mentor
Date: Tue, 10 Nov 2015 16:54:15 +0100

Welcome to LilyPond and this list, John,

Am 10.11.2015 um 16:36 schrieb John Gourlay:
> I’m an aspiring LilyPond contributor who needs a mentor. How can I get one?

I'm not sure you can "get one" here because there are simply too few
developers around.
But if you continue asking questions on this list you will probably get
more concrete information about the processes and you'll probably find
the niche(s) where your skills can be most usefully be applied.

> So far I can compile LilyDev itself and the documentation, and I’m becoming
> familiar with git. I’m looking at the LilyPond Contributor’s Guide, but I
> have to admit that it’s a bit overwhelming.

This is surely true.
Don't hesitate to ask if you have problems understanding something. And
also tell us if you find anything misleading, overly complicated or in
any other way improveable.

> I’m a recently retired software engineer highly experienced with C++, less
> with Unix and open-source development, and not at all with Scheme.

If I'm not mistaken there are fewer C++ developers around than Schemers,
so that seems like a good addition. Although learning some Scheme might
as well be useful ...

> I’m not a musician, and I’ve used LilyPond only for toy examples so far.
> However, I once knew a lot about using computers to engrave music, as I was
> the principal investigator for the MusiCopy Project at Ohio State University
> in the 1980s. I’m sure that much has changed since then, but I’m pleased to
> say that LilyDev looks to be very much like what MusiCopy might have been if
> we’d had an opportunity to complete it. I’d like to help further the LilyPond
> project in some way.

Sounds very nice. I hope you'll find your way through LilyPond and the
developer circle.

Best
Urs