stepmake no longer available in debian?!

From: Villum Sejersen
Subject: stepmake no longer available in debian?!
Date: Thu, 17 Dec 2015 17:42:55 +0100

As of today it seems I cannot compile lilypond from git sources, because:

stepmake is no longer available as a debian package!

For historical reasons I neither use Ubuntu nor any other debian-based
OS, but debian itself...

My debian version is the current testing 'stretch'.

address@hidden:/usr/local/src/lilypond/build# git pull origin
Already up-to-date.

address@hidden:/usr/local/src/lilypond/build# ../configure
checking build system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking host system type... x86_64-unknown-linux-gnu
checking Package... LILYPOND
checking builddir... /usr/local/src/lilypond/build
checking for stepmake... ../stepmake  (${datarootdir}/stepmake not found)
checking for gmake... no
checking for make... make
checking for find... find
checking for tar... tar
checking for bash... /bin/bash
checking for python... python
checking python version... 2.7.11
checking for python... /usr/bin/python
checking for gcc... gcc
checking whether the C compiler works... no
configure: error: in `/usr/local/src/lilypond/build':
See `config.log' for more details

The important message here of course is "stepmake not found". That, and
no. 1.9 in INSTALL.txt to me signifies that until lilypond finds out how
to completely avoid stepmake I have no possibility to compile lilypons
from git! I have no intention to downgrade (or for that matter upgrade)
the debian version.

For completion; 'make clean' or 'make distclean' fails to work too.

In the long run I believe that any debian-derived OS will have to
abandon stepmake too... I think it leaves liypond with no other option
than to abandon stepmake as part of its compilation process?

--
yours,
Villum Sejersen