Re: change `event-chord-wrap!' ?

From: Thomas Morley
Subject: Re: change `event-chord-wrap!' ?
Date: Fri, 22 Apr 2016 11:04:32 +0200

> Thomas Morley <address@hidden> writes:
>
>> Folks,
>>
>> we have event-chord-wrap! and is does the job it was designed for pretty
>> good.
>>
>> Though, sometimes too much: If a single note has instructions for
>> (stroke-)fingerings and or string-numbers it would make more sense and
>> be more logical to leave them in the 'articulations of the NoteEvent,
>> so that it could be affected by setting fingeringOrientations, etc.
>> Below you'll find some coding doing so.
>>
>> Questions:
>> - Do you think it's worth a patch?
>> - If yes,
>>   change event-chord-wrap! to this?
>>   or
>>   implement an option into event-chord-wrap! ?
>>   or
>>   completely separate?
>
> event-chord-wrap! is a compatibility wrapper for easy recreation of old
> behavior for the sake of non-ported functions.  You needed to write
> <c\3> anyway at that point of time.
>
> So basically you are trying to provide quite specific 2.16 functionality
> for quite specific 2.14 functions.
>
> If you want to mimic this exactly, you need to retain all articulations
> for which there are no listeners (that's what the
> Rhythmic_music_iterator does), but the presence of listeners is not
> established at the point of time where event-chord-wrap! runs.
>
> Anything wrong with actually making the function you need able to deal
> with non-wrapped events?
>
> event-chord-wrap! does lose information.  It's a band-aid.
>
> --
> David Kastrup

Let me reword it and give a little more background.

I want that fingerings in single NoteEvent are affected by
*Orientations-settings as well as NoteEvents in EventChords.
(Currently this works only for StringNumber, although I've no clue why.)

I thought wrapping single notes into an event-chord while nicely
sorting their 'articulations and 'elements would be the way to go,
thus my polite-event-chord-wrap!-coding.

If not, I have no good idea where to start to tackle the problem
directly. Looks like I need more hints...

Here an example to play with:

\version "2.19.36"

\layout {
  \context {