Re: Tie properties vs. slur properties.

From: tisimst
Subject: Re: Tie properties vs. slur properties.
Date: Wed, 25 May 2016 18:26:00 -0700 (MST)

On Wed, May 25, 2016 at 12:19 AM, Werner LEMBERG [via Lilypond] <
address@hidden> wrote:

> > The tie interface has height-limit and ratio as part of Tie.details.
> >
> > The slur interface has height-limit and ratio as part of Slur (not
> > embedded in Slur.details).
> >
> > Is there a reason for this difference, or is it just due to never
> > making the two be consistent?
>
> I believe it's the latter.
>
> > If there is no reason for the difference, I think the two should be
> > rationalized, probably by moving Slur.height-limit and Slur.ratio to
> > Slur.details.height-limit and Slur.details.ratio.
>
> This looks ok.

What's the benefit of nesting properties like this? I'm open to hearing
arguments for it, but why not have them all accessible at top-level? Is it
programmatically beneficial to have some properties in the "details" alist?
I would argue that it would be more user-friendly if the user didn't need
to know when to do "Grob.property" vs "Grob.details.property" sometimes.
I'd vote for making all properties accessible like "Grob.property" if
that's possible.

Just my thoughts. Thanks to everyone who are making these properties easier
to access!

- Abraham

P.S. While we're talking properties, is there anyone who'd be willing to
make the trill spanner squiggle "~" externally \override-able independent
of the trill text "tr"?