Re: Fun with upgrades - not

From: Alexander Kobel
Subject: Re: Fun with upgrades - not
Date: Fri, 8 Jul 2016 14:09:39 +0200

On 2016-07-08 13:44, Phil Holmes wrote:
 [...]
Last week I decided to bite the bullet and upgrade from Ubuntu 10.04
to a more recent version. [...]
sudo apt-get build-dep lilypond

Did this, thanks, and now have the following problems.

Hi Phil,

I'm trying to give pointers without having access to the same environment, so bear with me if they turn out misleading.

Problem 1:

address@hidden:~/lilypond-git$ sh autogen.sh --noconfigure
processing .
Running autoconf ...
autogen.sh: 17: autogen.sh: autoconf: not found

Hm. Sounds like autoconf is not installed; it's not listed explicitly in the build dependencies in the Debian package either, so that's probably an oversight by the package maintainer. `dpkg -l autoconf` should tell you whether this is the reason; `sudo apt-get install autoconf` should solve it.

Problem 2: running configure:

ERROR: Please install required programs: /usr/local/bin/fontforge >=
20110222 (installed: )

See INSTALL.txt for more information on how to build LilyPond
address@hidden:~/lilypond-git/build$ fontforge --version
bash: /usr/local/bin/fontforge: cannot execute binary file: Exec format
error
address@hidden:~/lilypond-git/build$ sudo apt-get install fontforge
Reading package lists... Done
Building dependency tree
Reading state information... Done
fontforge is already the newest version.
0 to upgrade, 0 to newly install, 0 to remove and 6 not to upgrade.

Any suggestions?

Looks like the configure script found a fontforge in /usr/local/bin, which it seems to prefer over the "official" one which should be installed in /usr/bin. Unfortunately, the latter seems to be compiled for a different architecture. Could you give the output of the following commands:

  # This will show what your system is running
  uname -a
  # This will show what the custom fontforge is compiled for
  file /usr/local/bin/fontforge

I guess those values will not match. Also, could you post the output of `echo $PATH`? I presume it will contain "/usr/local/bin" quite early, which will make binaries there the preferred choice over ones in /usr/bin. If you do not need that preference, you could try to edit ~/.bashrc (most probably) and adjust the setting of PATH there; otherwise, you will probably have to uninstall the custom fontforge. The ugly way is to `rm /usr/local/bin/fontforge`, but it will be better to find out how it got there, and look for something like a `make uninstall` in the source tree of fontforge.

HTH,
Alexander