Re: 4919: beam 1/20 and shorter notes by 1/4 in 2/2 and 3/2 time (issue

From: dak
Subject: Re: 4919: beam 1/20 and shorter notes by 1/4 in 2/2 and 3/2 time (issue 303980043 by address@hidden)
Date: Thu, 21 Jul 2016 23:20:31 -0700

https://codereview.appspot.com/303980043/diff/20001/scm/time-signature-settings.scm
File scm/time-signature-settings.scm (right):

https://codereview.appspot.com/303980043/diff/20001/scm/time-signature-settings.scm#newcode73
scm/time-signature-settings.scm:73: ((beamExceptions . ((end . ((1/20 .
(5 5 5 5))))))))
Well, the other exceptions tend to draw the line differently (see 6/4,
9/4, 12/4, and the somewhat different 3/4 and 4/4 resume beat-beaming at
triplets rather than smaller).  One problem with quintuplets are that
they are
indistinguishable from decemtuplets in the exception rules.

Take for example

\score {
  \fixed c'
  {
    \time 2/2
    \tuplet 10/8 2 { c16 d e g f d g f e d
                     c g e d f e g f d e }
    c1
  }

  \layout {}
  \midi { \tempo 2 = 60 }
}

under old and proposed rules.  So I think that when changing the
autobeaming rules, we should try to keep LilyPond's defaults somewhat
consistent and predictable and not arbitrarily draw the tuplet lines
differently for every meter.

I particularly don't see why quintuplets at 3/2 should be treated
differently than at 6/4 as compared to triplets.

https://codereview.appspot.com/303980043/