Re: Issue 4936: look up "mf" for default initial volume (issue 308890043

From: nine . fierce . ballads
Subject: Re: Issue 4936: look up "mf" for default initial volume (issue 308890043 by address@hidden)
Date: Thu, 04 Aug 2016 15:52:11 -0700

On 2016/08/04 21:30:58, Carl wrote:
On 2016/08/04 21:23:12, ht wrote:
> LGTM except for a small question (still) about the process_music
logic.

> Also, I noticed the following definition in scm/midi.scm:
>
> ;; 90 == 90/127 == 0.71 is supposed to be the default value
> ;; urg: we should set this at start of track
> (define-public dynamic-default-volume 0.71)

I'd be happy to remove that.

It would seem to me that the Dynamic_performer should use the scheme
variable
dynamic-default-volume as the default, rather than a hard-coded lookup
of mf.

Overkill.  A user who wants a specific dynamic should code it into the
music.

Even overlooking that, it would be unlike Lilypond to define such a
thing globally rather than as a context property.

In my opinion, we should not have any constants that a user might want
to change
hard-coded in C++, because then the user can't change them.

I don't see how to escape having a C++ default for something like this:
    robust_scm2double (svolume, Audio_span_dynamic::DEFAULT_VOLUME);
Please describe your preferred alternative more specifically.

https://codereview.appspot.com/308890043/