Re: Issue 4936: look up "mf" for default initial volume (issue 308890043

From: Carl Sorensen
Subject: Re: Issue 4936: look up "mf" for default initial volume (issue 308890043 by address@hidden)
Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2016 23:05:21 +0000

On 8/10/16 4:17 PM, "address@hidden"
<address@hidden> wrote:

>David, do you have advice on the direction to take regarding the
>comments on this thing in midi.scm?
>
>         (define-public dynamic-default-volume 0.71)
>
>To me it seems unnecessary (the user should specify a dynamic if a
>specific dynamic is desired)

I'm not David, but I'd like to describe my use case.

When writing congregational hymns, dynamics are very seldom included.

But I may wish to generate practice midi from my engraving (I regularly do
it).  It would be nice to be able to define my own default midi volume that
would apply.

>and the wrong place for a default anyway.
>It should be in a context if it needs to be anywhere, right?

What context would it be defined in?  the midi performer can exist in a
variety of contexts.

I suppose that different contexts might have different default midi
volumes.

So I guess the default midi volume might be defined in the Score context,
and then any lower contexts could override the default midi volume.  And
of course, you are right that this should then become a documented context
property.

So at any rate, I think the public definition should be eliminated from
midi.scm, regardless of whether or not somebody has used it.

If eliminating causes them problems, they can add that definition to their
ly files.

Thanks,

Carl