Re: Branch management

From: Ralph Little
Subject: Re: Branch management
Date: Fri, 12 Aug 2016 15:49:47 +0000 (UTC)

Hi,
> If, as you say, you only have one commit on your branch you can also
> just copy that commit to a new branch and later delete the old branch: git
> checkout master
> git checkout -b my/new/branch
> git cherry-pick commit-id-from-old-branch ... later ...
> git branch -D dev/rlittle
> git push origin :refs/heads/dev/rlittle This *may* "feel" somewhat safer
> without the rebasing.

> Urs

Actually, I have a new set of files to replace the old which compile and run
cleanly against master.

The simplest thing is probably to just delete the branch and start over.
I don't really want to keep that commit.

I had forgotten that git branches are ephemeral. We use mercurial where I work
and deleting branches is not part of the normal workflow.

Cheers,
Ralph